PianoWorld

PianoWorld
Pianoworld site and forums

Acoustic Soundboard

Acoustic Soundboard
Independent acoustic guitar forum

The Clarinet Pages

The Clarinet Pages
The foremost clarinet forum

Friday, September 16, 2016

My recorder gets company!

After watching countless youtube recorder videos I decided I preferred the sound of the bigger instruments and after much deliberation I bought a tenor. Like my soprano it's made by Aulos but in the more traditional brown and cream colour scheme. First impressions are it's very hard to play. In fact at first I struggled to get a note out of it but I persevered, watching videos on correct posture and breathing, as well as hand stretching exercises. The tenor is a big instrument,  twice the size of the soprano and this model has no levers. I decided to go for a keyless model as I heard that on cheaper instruments they are easily broken. Now, I say cheaper but in the right hands, i.e. not mine, the sound of the 211 is fantastic, rich and warm. Much more flute like, whereas the soprano is more like a whistle in the high registers.  The tenor sounds woody.

And here it is next to its smaller cousin.


No comments:

Post a Comment